Do high thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) levels affect pregnancy?

Friday, 17 June 2011
Answered by: Dr Abha Majumdar
Head, Centre of IVF & Human Reproduction, Dept of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi

Q. I am a 24 years old housewife. Recently, I underwent a blood test, which showed high TSH level (13.5 µIU/ml). I got the same test done at another laboratory and it came 13.2 µIU/ml. My cholesterol levels have also came high i.e. cholesterol (bad) – 319 mg/dl, LDL cholesterol (ugly) – 236 mg/dl. For the last 4 -5 months, I am experiencing delayed menses (almost a week) and the flow is also less. I am planning to have a baby next year. Will the high TSH levels affect my pregnancy?

A.  You are suffering from hypothyroidism and definitely need treatment for the same. Before you plan pregnancy, your thyroid problem should be under control because it effects the development of the baby. Your cycles are irregular probably because of hypothyroidism and you are not ovulating on your own. You might require treatment to conceive and once pregnant, you will be required to continue thyroid medication. I It has no ill-effects on the baby.