What does my liver function report suggest?

Saturday, 19 March 2011
Answered by: Dr Sanjiv Saigal
Consultant Gastroenterologist,Sir Ganga Ram Hospital,New Delhi

Q. I am a 36 years old male. My SGPT level is 45 and SGOT is 40 and Serum Bilirubin total is 1.40 and direct is 0.52. Please answer my following questions: What do the test results indicate? What can be the reason for elevated serum bilirubin levels? Do I need to take any medicines at this stage? What precautions should I take for reducing the level of SGPT and bilirubin?

A.  I note that you have slightly raised SGPT (45) and bilirubin of 1.4 without any clinical symptoms. I do not think that this should be a cause of concern. 1. Slight variation in SGPT level can be ignored. 2. Slightly raised bilirubin level, which is predominantly unconjugated, can some times be due to Gilbert's syndrome. This is a defect in an enzyme of bilirubin metabolism, which has no clinical concern at all. This is seen in normal population, and needs no treatment. 3. However, as a screening you should get your HBsAg, anti-HCV & Ultrasound abdomen done. All above findings can also be seen in fatty liver. Your liver doctor can guide you regarding the same.

Saturday, 19 March 2011
Answered by: Dr Sanjiv Saigal
Thursday, 27 January 2011
Answered by: Dr Shirish Kumar
Haematologist, WHO, Geneva

A. 

A.