What is the treatment for varicose veins?

Answered by: Prof B Krishna Rau

Professor and Head of Dept. of Surgery, Sri Ramachandra Medical College, Chennai

Q. My 71 years old mother is suffering from varicose veins in her right leg for the last 6 months. She has taken B-complex capsules prescribed by the doctor but in vain. Lately she has started using an ayurvedic oil, which has smoothened the protruding vein and provided relief in pain too. Since a month, her leg turns once a week or sometimes twice a day causing her to lose her balance. What is the best treatment for her considering her age?

A.  The varicose veins are treated in the following options
  • Determine that the deep veins are patent
  • If they are patent, at this age first choice is elastic crepe bandage when ever the patient is erect
  • If fit for surgery, Trendelenburg surgery and stripping of the vein
  • If there veins are small and superficial, sclerotherapy
  • Endo venous laser obliteration of the veins instead of stripping of the vein
  • If the deep veins are thrombosed, only elastic crepe bandage to be applied
  • The turning of the leg is no way associated with the varicose veins-neurological check is required.

I an not aware of what AIIMS therapy implies.