Can I have sex after laparoscopy?

Thursday, 19 August 2004
Answered by: Dr. Geeta Chadha
Senior Consultant, Obstetrics & Gynaecology,
Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals,

Q. I have no issues since the past 7 years. I underwent drilling of ovaries fifteen days ago for PCOS through laparoscopy and found that one of the fallopian tubes has coiled itself and the other one cannot pick up the sperms. My uterus is also bulky. After 2 days of laparoscopy, I got my menses with much bleeding. Can I have sexual contact now? What are the possibilities of pregnancy?

A.  If your doctor feels that both your tubes are no good then I am sure she has asked you to go in for IVF in which case your chance of a baby is about 25-30%. If she has done some repair on the tubes then the final result would depend on the tubal status after the surgery, which your doctor would be in a better position to comment on. Yes, 2 weeks after laparoscopy, you can have sexual interaction, if you feel fine.