I had tuberculosis in the past; can I donate blood?

Tuesday, 17 August 2004
Answered by: Dr. Ambika Nanu
Additional Professor & Head, Department of Transfusion Medicine,
AIIMS,

Q. I am a 24-year-old girl. I wish to donate blood to the needy, but I had tuberculosis at age of 5. Now I am fine; can I donate blood to others? Doctors tell me that even today I will test positive for TB.

A.  I presume you had treatment for tuberculosis (TB) when you were young, and today you are healthy with no symptoms. If so, you can certainly donate blood. I do not think you will test positive for Mantoux test today. Only those with active TB test positive.