What are the latest methods in prostate and gallbladder surgery?

Answered by: Dr. B. Krishna Rau
Professor and Head, Dept. of Surgery,
Sri Ramachandra Medical College,
Chennai

Q. I want to know the latest methods in prostate and gall bladder surgery?. I understand from the newspaper reports that there are two methods in prostate namely - PVP of prostate and the second is Holmium Laser Prostatectomy. Kindly advise me the other latest methods in prostate surgery and also your opinion which is the best and safest method in prostate surgery and also in respect of gallbladder.

A.  The Gall Bladder surgery is done through laparoscopy. It is the current gold standard for removal of gall bladder. The pioneer in India is Dr Udwadia at Hinduja Hospital, Mumbai. For prostate, laser photocoagulation was popular 5 years back. Now it is not widely practiced. It is used only if the patient is unfit for surgery. I know a centre in Hyderabad which used to do this. Laser photo ablation of prostate is still practiced for cancer of prostate with stenting.