What causes high IgE levels in blood?

Thursday, 06 January 2011
Answered by: Dr Lawrence Youlten
Consultant, Department of Allergy, Addenbrookes, Cambridge

Q. I am a 24 years old male asked to get my IgE test done to check my allergy level. The result showed 523.90 Iu/ml. What is the minimum range of this and what should I do to reduce allergy level if it is high?

A.  A high level of IgE such asl you describe probably just reflects the fact that you are atopic, that is, you are, like about a third of the population, genetically predisposed to allergic sensitisation to common air-borne allergens such as pollens, animal dander and house-dust mites. The fact that dust exposure can trigger your symptoms tends to confirm this. There is no need to try to reduce the total IgE levels which are raised in many perfectly healthy people, and just reflect your allergic/atopic status.