Is my child suffering from malaria?

Tuesday, 10 August 2004
Answered by: Dr. H.P.S. Sachdev
Professor and In-charge, Division of Clinical Epidemiology, Dept. of Pediatrics,
Maulana Azad Medical College,

Q. My son is suffering from an intermittent fever and dry cough since last few weeks. The doctor advised us to get his blood and urine checked. The report was Ok. He has been given Roxid, Tuespel and crocin during most of the time. Now Roxid is replaced with Droxyl. He is frequently getting the high temperature, which lasts for a few days. Can it be Malarial Fever even though the blood report doesn't show the parasite?

A.  Your child is NOT likely to be suffering from Malaria. It is likely that the child is having recurrent episodes of respiratory tract infection, most probably of viral etiology. Children in this age group are prone to develop this especially when they come in contact with day care or other play school children. A definitive opinion however would only be possible after examining the child.