How long does healing take after circumcision?

Thursday, 02 December 2010
Answered by: Dr Rajesh Ahlawat
Chairman Division of Urology and Renal Transplantation Medanta Kidney and Urology Institute Medanta, the Medicity

Q. I am a 62 years old male. I underwent circumcision a month back as I had a problem with the foreskin.I am a diabetic for 23 years back but have maintained my glucose levels and there are no standard symptoms of diabetes. How long will circumcision wound take to heal? There is no pain, no oozing, no pus and no foul smell. No problem with urination. The incision appears to be healing but there is a ridge-like formation where the incision was made.

A.  Inflammation of the foreskin, called posthitis is not uncommon in diabetics and may need circumcision. Follwing circumcision with normal foreskin, as in children, healing usually occurs in 2 to 3 weeks time. It may indeed take longer in men with a diseased foreskin, as during circumcision in elderly diabetics following posthitis.