Is typhoid contagious?

Thursday, 02 December 2010
Answered by: Dr Vidya Gupta
Consultant Paediatrician & Neonatologist, Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi

Q. My four and a half years old son is suffering from typhoid and his Widal test shows a titre of 1:80. He also has fever. I would like to know if this result is too high or low. How long will it take for him to get well? What diet he should take? Do I have to keep my 10 months old younger son away from him? Can he travel while suffering from typhoid?

A.  Widal 1:80 is not significantly positive and does not necessarily indicate typhoid fever. In any case typhoid is not contagious like a viral infection. Transmission is by an oro fecal route. Infection will not occur by being in the same room. If the fever is high I would not suggest you travel.