Is the consumtion of silver leaf on sweets harmful during pregnancy?

Answered by: Dr. Arunima Saha
Lifestyle Counsellor,
Apollo Gleneagles Hospital,
Kolkata

Q. I am in my 21st week of pregnancy. I have been consuming 2 to 3 kaju rolls everyday. Is the silver leaf (chandi warak) which is over the kaju roll/burfi safe during pregnancy? Is it harmful to fetal development?

A.  There is no direct link found between silver leaf intake in the quantity you mentioned in pregnancy. However, in your physiological condition, I would prefer you do not continue to take this and also dont worry. Consult your doctor if you note any gastrointestinal symptoms lately.