Is it safe to use Halovate S for psoriasis for a long period?

Wednesday, 22 September 2010
Answered by: Dr Kamlendar Singh
Senior Consultant, Dermatology and Venereology, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi

Q. I am a 31 years old male suffering from psoriasis for the last four years. Lesions are more on the scalp and inside the ear. I applied Halovate S ointment to reduce the lesions but they recur if the ointment is stopped. Is it safe to use Halovate S for longer period?

A.  Psoriasis is a chronic disease. It waxes and wanes. Accordingly, need for the medicine increases or decreases. There are a number of factors which determine the choice of medicines. Aim is to achieve maximal improvement with minimal medication. Steroids in all forms should be avoided as much as is possible. Halovate is one of the potent steroids.