What is the treatment for mandibular prognathism?

Friday, 05 March 2004
Answered by: Rakesh Malhotra
Senior Dental Surgeon,
Dental Specialists Clinic,

Q. I have mandibular prognathism and non-alignment of my upper and lower teeth. I would like to get it corrected. I have heard that surgery can be done, could you please guide me to a good dental surgeon in chennai. Also please tell me about costs, follow-up period and complications that can happen. Will I have to wear braces after surgery?

A.  To correct mandibular prognathism you need to consult both an orthodontist (braces specialist) & an oral surgeon who will together plan your treatment to give you the best results. It is advisable to start braces before surgery and continue them after surgery too. Kindly get in touch with these specialists in Chennai. They will also advise you about the costs involved.