What is the cause for mild pain in my knees?

Friday, 13 February 2004
Answered by: Professor Anand N. Malaviya
Consultant Rheumatologist,
A & R Clinic,

Q. I have a large frame, 6'1" tall and weigh 109 kg & 38 years of age. I have been through all sorts of investigations. My doctor says there was accumulation of water in my left knee. He terms my left knee problem as bit of everything: degenerative osteoarthritis as well as gouty arthritis. I was put on valdecoxib 20 mg two times a day, Glucosamine/chondroitin recommended daily dose, an acid reducer, allopurinol tablets 300 mg total a day. After being on this for 15 days there was not much significant difference. Later Serratiopeptidase tablets 20 mg twice a day were added and my condition improved a lot. I feel this medicine works for me. The problem of crepitus has not gone. It is more profound in the morning on waking. I am on my daily morning walks for about 3.5 miles. During the walk, I feel as if the crepitus is all gone. I am on a well planned nutritious, balanced diet (not Atkins) and have lost 7 kg over the last one year. The kind of comfort I feel after all these medicines is more or less the same before the start of these medicines when I was taking simple Ibuprofen and Tylenol and Glucosamine / chondroitin. What should I do? The mild pain in my both knees continues which is more on doing typing or sitting over the desk. My range of knee motion is good. Should I go for mild OTC medicines and try conventional alternative therapies or gulp down the cup of my prescription medicines everyday. Please help.

A.  The short summary of the problem that you have described does sound very much like that seen in structural-mechanical foot-related problem rather than any internal disease. I suggest that you see a rheumatologist for careful evaluation of your condition. Only then can the management can be planned.