Is it normal for breastmilk to leak before delivery?

Answered by: Vidya Gupta
Consultant Paediatrician & Neonatologist
Indraprastha Apollo Hospital

Q. I am seven and half months pregnant and have noticed that my breast is leaking milk about 1-2 drops since the fifth month. But for last 3-4 days it is leaking more and more. Even my dress is wet by milk. I am afraid what will happen after my pregnancy. Is this normal or am I producing milk earlier? Will it continue till my delivery or my breast will stop producing because it is not being suckled? Kindly advise.

A.  It is not unusual to have some milk being produced before the baby is born. If it is a large amount and increasing please mention it to your doctor at your next antenatal visit.