Does an air bubble in my eye need treatment?

Wednesday, 02 June 2010
Answered by: Dr Arun Mishra
Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon, UK

Q. I am a 33 years old male. I noticed an air bubble in my eyeball. It was between the thin transparent membrane and eyeball and it also moves if I blink fast. I had inflammation in eyes for the last three days. I am using antibiotic eye drops also. Does an air bubble in my eye need treatment?

A.  This is called conjuncival or lymphatic cyst. It is completely painless and harmless. It can also burst and reform from time to time. Just ignore this. Even if it is cut out surgically or punctured it may reform. Sometimes it may contain tiny white crystals called concretions, which may give you gritty feeling every few days, it is still harmless. You do not require any treatment.