How to manage gall bladder polyps?

Monday, 15 September 2003
Answered by: Subash Gupta
Gastrointestinal Surgery
Sir Ganga Ram Hospital

Q. I have been diagnosed with gall bladder polyps. I sometimes get pain on the right upper abdomen and also right upper back side which is not related to intake of food. My gastroenterologist feels that these pains are skeletal / muscular in nature and not related to gall bladder. He also feels that a surgery is not absolutely essential. One gastroenterologist has recommended an MRCP scan. Will an MRCP scan (MRI) give more information about gall bladder polyps than an ultrasound scan?

A.  If they are really tiny, then they can be left alone. The worry with gallbladder polyps is that they may be cancerous and this is very likely if greater than 1 cm in size. If I were you I would have it removed laparoscopically. A good US is better for polyps than an MRCP.