What are the side effects of proluton depot (500 mg)?

Monday, 12 April 2010
Answered by: Dr B Shakuntala Baliga MD (AIIMS), FICOG
Professor and Senior Consultant Gynecologist & Colposcopist Mazumdar-Shaw Center for Cancer Research & Narayana Hrudayalaya Multispecialty Hospital, Bangalore

Q. I am 33 years old woman into my third month of pregnancy. Three weeks back, I had some spotting, which occurred for the two consecutive days. I visited a gynaecologist and she injected proluton depot (500 mg). The doctor has injected four shots of proluton in the past three months. I am worried if proluton would cause side effect to my baby and to me. What are the side effects of proluton depot (500 mg)?

A.  Proluton depot is absolutely safe for the baby - it has been used successfully for several years. Please ensure by ultrasound that the growth of the baby is OK. I also perform a speculum exam (internal exam using an instrument to see the vagina and cervix) to rule out local causes of the spotting - that would make the injections redundant and save you of a lot of unnecessary stress.