What are the precautions for peptic ulcers?

Friday, 08 August 2003
Answered by: Sudeep Sodhi
Gastroenterologist,
Wisconsin
USA

Q. I have been suffering from peptic ulcer. Every day I wake up as early as 1:30 AM, 2:30 AM or 3:00 AM because of stomach pain which is usually mild (rarely severe). The time varies based on the food that I take the previous day - if too spicy or hot, then I wake up early. A biscuit or two suffices until 5:00 AM when I have my breakfast. I cannot take milk as it aggravates. When I pass motion, very tiny black spots are visible. My problem is that I don't know what to take and in what amount? I consulted a doctor and for the past six months I am taking Nexpro 40 mg. I would be grateful if you could recommend what I should eat and the diet for the whole week.

A.  Everything in moderation is ok. Concept that you should not eat certain things is old. If something makes your symptoms worse, stay away from it. Avoid too much spicy food, aspirin, smoking. Get your doctor to check you for a bacteria called Helicobacter pylori.