How to handle a child with poor concentration in studies?

Monday, 07 July 2003
Answered by: Renu Kishore
Reader, Department of Psychology
Delhi University

Q. My daughter is 11 years old. She does not pay attention and makes no effort in her studies or her daily routine work. Her concentration is poor and she is always indulging in less important jobs while avoiding the important ones. She also constantly interferes in others work. Please tell me how to handle her so that I can help her overcome these habits.

A.  Your daughter is reaching adolescence and it is important that you discuss with her to be able to motivate and involve her in any action to be taken. Try to sit down and talk with her whether her present behaviour is acceptable to her. Try to find out the reasons why she cannot concentrate and then try to arrive at ways so that she can gradually increase her concentration and focus on studies. Nagging will not help at all and may only make her rebel.