Why do my eyes burn during the daytime?

Wednesday, 17 February 2010
Answered by: Dr Arun Mishra
Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon, UK

Q. I am a 19 years old male and I feel burning sensation in eyes during the day. I cannot open my eyes if the light is switched on when I wake up. It takes around half an hour before the burning sensation in my eyes is even bearable. Also, I can't stay up during the day at all. I have to struggle until I finally just give up and sleep. I can stay awake at night and will be fine. I go to sleep at 11 PM and wake up at 5 AM and need to go to sleep again during the day by 1 PM just because I can't stay awake. Please advise.

A.  May be you are suffering from some dry eyes. I would suggest just washing your eyes with clean tap water or use any artificial tear drops from a chemist. This is called slight photophobia and allergy, inflammation may be there as well. If the colour of your eyes is not dark, that also can cause this symptom. Also use dark glasses as much as you can. If you have other skin or systemic conditions, that can cause this as well.

There is a phenomenon called dark adaptation in which it takes time to adjust to sudden change in brightness or darkness which may be normal or delayed.

Read Comments
Posted by : ROHIT, on Wednesday, February 17, 2010
i am feeling very delighted by all nice advices & suggestions suggested by doctors on NDTV and hope all who needs help in a very short time period may please get helped by such nice and quick response holders....... i love NDTV for showing truth always and for helping the nation to shine.