How can eosinophilia be treated?

Answered by: Dr Dharma R Choudhary

Clinical Hematologist & Bone Marrow Transplant Physician,BL Kapur Memorial Hospital, New Delhi

Q. My 55 years old mother is suffering from high eiosinophil count. She has sleepless nights, her bones ache and she has no energy at all for anything. She is a teacher and has to go through a lot of trouble due to this. She has been suffering from this for the last ten years. We have visited a lot of doctors but of no use. Currently, she is taking Unicarbazan Forte tablet. Kindly let me know if there is any permanent cure for this.

A.  High eosinophil counts are due to number of causes. All these causes lead to an increase in eosinophil counts as secondary effect; common causes are allergy, hay fever, asthma, collagen vascular disorders, drugs and occult malignancies. You need to consult a hematologist for a thorough work up and the treatment depends on the cause.