How to manage stones in the pancreas?

Saturday, 24 May 2003
Answered by: Subash Gupta
Gastrointestinal Surgery
Sir Ganga Ram Hospital

Q. My mother aged about 58 has stone in her pancreas. She had this problem once before as well (about 5-6 years back) and these were removed by operation and the doctor assured that it won't happen any more. But it has come up again as said above. I want to know that is it really true that if once operation is done to remove these stomach stones then it won't happen again. Also please let me know whether homeopathic medicines do actually digest the stones and thus are a way to treat these disease or they are just false statements. What should the food of such a patient contain? Is there any other way to treat it?

A.  Pancreatic stones generally do not require treatment unless they cause lot of pain. Pancreoflat (enzyme supplement) can be of help. Operation is good treatment provided the blockage is removed not just stones. This means that pancreatic duct has to be joined to intestine. Homeopathy may help but is not an accepted form of treatment. Diet should consist of low fat high protein diet. Check for diabetes as it is commonly associated.