Why do I get dizziness and headaches so often?

Thursday, 07 January 2010
Answered by: Dr Debashish Chowdhury
Professor of Neurology, GB Pant Hospital, New Delhi

Q. I am a 42 years old man suffering from severe headache and dizziness for the last 10 years. I feel very weak and dizzy all the time and travelling makes my problem worse. My blood pressure is 144/78 mmHg. What should I do to increase the blood flow to the brain?

A.  You are having chronic headache with dizziness for past 10 years. These long standing symptoms suggest at one hand that you are unlikely to have any serious brain abnormality but on the other that you may be quite disabled because of the long-term suffering.

Generally, the long-standing chronic headaches are due to poorly understood reasons but stress, increased intake of analgesics (painkillers) and drug addiction are the main causes. Also, sometimes, intermittent acute headaches like migraine and tension headaches may become chronic and disabling.

The headaches are not due to decreased blood flow to the brain in a general sense although significant obstruction to the blood flow to the brain at times can cause headaches especially to people with risk factors like hypertension, heart problems, stroke and elderly people.

Sense of weakness can accompany headaches at times especially when these are due to migraine.

There is no short cut to the evaluation of chronic headaches and you must consult a good doctor, preferably a neurologist to solve your long-standing problem and to monitor your blood pressure that is slightly high.

Read Comments
Posted by : Vishwanaanthan Iyer, on Monday, February 08, 2010
Severe headaches occur to those who have not forgotten/forgiven the hurt caused by others to them knowingly or unknowingly in the past. When such sufferers forgive the others( whosover have hurt them) fully from their heart, the headaches subside and get cured once for all. But it is easier said than done to forgive others who have cuased mential, emotional or physical pain to the sufferers. The best remedy is go to an experienced spiritual teacher who teaches meditation based on self-realization free of cost and sucks the unforgiving attitude of his disciples/ students. In return the teacher gives the power of forgiving nature of the universe present within his heart to his discples in a a slow and steady manner which in a short span of 15 days to three months gets the problem of headaches out of the suffering person altogether.