What are the causes of abnormal albumin level in a pregnant woman?

Answered by: Dr Geeta Chadha

Senior Consultant, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi

Q. What are the causes of abnormal albumin levels in the urine of a pregnant woman? Is there any solution other than a c-section to remove the embryo and save the mother’s life especially if there is high blood pressure?

A.  Embryo is the word used for very early conception. I presume you mean fetus. Yes, if all other factors and blood pressure are well under control, a vaginal delivery is a possibility. Albumin in urine during pregnancy can be seen in Pre-eclamptic toxaemia besides renal diseases or plain vaginal discharge contamination.