What causes blood-stained discharge after sex?

Tuesday, 06 May 2003
Answered by: Ajay Sharma
Consultant
Sir Ganga Ram Hospital

Q. I am a 23 year old married woman in the 5th month of my marriage. These days I am having bleeding after making love with my husband. I noticed traces of blood in my white discharge twice. It never happened in the past. Is this due to heat or something else? Kindly advise me because I am very worried.

A.  I would like to know whether the intercourse is painful also. If yes, it could be due to early penetration before enough lubrication occurs. If no, then you need to be treated for vaginal infection which could be fungal in nature. You could take a capsule of Syscan 150 mg just once, which should cure the discharge. You should see a gynaecologist in your town.