What is the use of Vaxigrip and Pneumo vaccine?

Saturday, 09 January 2010
Answered by: Dr Chandra M Gulhati
Editor, MIMS, New Delhi

Q. Last year my parents and I had Vaxigrip and Pneumo 23 vaccinations. Pneumo is for 5 years where as flu shot is for 1 year. The doctor told me that Pneumo 23 covers all kinds of flu. But as per my knowledge Pneumo is for pneumonia only and the flu shot covers common cold, etc. Please clarify.

A.  Vaxigrip is meant for influenza virus. It is effective for one year because the strains of the virus keep on changing from year to year and even country to country. Pneumovax 23 is effective against bacteria (not virus) that causes bacterial pneumonia (not influenza).