Why do I have stomach pain during pregnancy?

Wednesday, 20 January 2010
Answered by: Dr B Shakuntala Baliga MD (AIIMS), FICOG
Professor and Senior Consultant Gynecologist & Colposcopist Mazumdar-Shaw Center for Cancer Research & Narayana Hrudayalaya Multispecialty Hospital, Bangalore

Q. I am a 28 years old and 4 months pregnant woman having stomach pain for the last 2 days. What could be the reason for this? What should I do? Please advise.

A.  The pain could be due to uterine contractions (abnormal at this stage), or some problem related to the intestines. Please consult your gynaecologist immediately - a physical exam is a must to diagnose possible cause of pain and whether or not you need admission or tocolytic therapy (to stop uterine contractions).