Is Duvadilan safe for a pregnant woman?

Wednesday, 20 January 2010
Answered by: Prof Shalini Rajaram
Professor, Dept. of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, UCMS & GTB Hospital, New Delhi

Q. I am a 32 years old and 33 weeks pregnant woman. I had contractions in the uterus recently and the doctor asked me to take Duvadilan 4 times a day. Is it safe to take Duvadilan? What are its side effects on the baby?

A.  Duvadilan is a tocolytic agent, which relaxes the uterus. Usually it is given if uterine contractions are present and for that admission is needed. It does not help if contractions subside. It can cause palpitations and low blood pressure in the mother but is generally considered safe for the baby. Long-term use of Duvadilan is not recommended.