How long do I need to take drugs for prostate enlargement?

Wednesday, 23 December 2009
Answered by: Dr Rajesh Ahlawat
Chairman Division of Urology and Renal Transplantation Medanta Kidney and Urology Institute Medanta, the Medicity

Q. I am 59 years old male. I am suffering from prostate enlargement problem and my doctor has prescribed Urimax 4 mg and Finast one tablet each in night. I am taking the same for last 15 days. I would like to know how long I have to take these tablets and will it contribute for erection dysfunction?

A.  Medical treatment for urinary symptoms attributed to prostatic enlargement includes two groups of drugs. First group is alpha blockers (urimax) to relax the smooth muscles in the prostate to bring improvement in flow. Medicine is effective for 24 hours and has, thus, to be repeated every 24 hours for as long as you want the effect. The medication does not affect the erectile function but may result in dry ejaculate (without seminal emission) in approximately 20% cases. The effect is temporary and usually returns to normal if the medication is stopped. The second group of drugs used for prostatic hypertrophy is 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors like finasteride (Finast), which act over long term by making the prostatic bulk smaller or by not allowing it to grow further. As may be apparent, even these drugs are usually used for years together for the purpose. The second group of drugs too has not been found to have any significant change in the erectile function over and above expected with advancing age.