What is the difference between polyps and pseudopolyps in the colon?

Monday, 28 April 2003
Answered by: Subash Gupta
Gastrointestinal Surgery
Sir Ganga Ram Hospital

Q. I have been suffering from ulcerative colitis since the last couple of years. I would like to know if all polyps are removable? I read somewhere that if they are not removed they could become malignant. Yet whenever I've had a colonoscopy done they have not been removed. Is there any difference between polyps and pseudopolyps?

A.  Pseudopolyps are a part of ulcerative colitis and they are different from polyps. Ulcerative colitis can lead on to tumour especially if you have the disease for more than 10 years. Colonoscopic surveillance biopsy should be done routinely and if it shows dysplasia then we advise total colectomy. Treatment is by medicines; surgery is advised if one needs high dose of steroids all the time or if there is constant or severe bleeding, risk of development of cancer and occasionally for complications such as perforation.