Why do I feel so sleepy?

Friday, 11 December 2009
Answered by: Dr Monica Mahajan
Senior Consultant, Internal Medicine, Max Hospital, New Delhi

Q. I am 35 years old man who feels very sleepy even when I get a sound sleep of 7 hours. It usually happens during meetings or training sessions. It is pretty difficult to get over even if I have coffee, wash my face, etc. Is there something wrong with me medically? What could be the reason for this?

A.  The reasons could be:
  1. A heavy meal/snack before the meeting where in most of the blood supply is diverted to the digestive system to digest food.
  2. Medical disorders like obesity, hypothyroidism, snoring (associated with sleep apnoea) with disturbed quality of sleep at night, irregular meal timings.
  3. Sedentary lifestyle and physical deconditioning.
  4. Lack of interest in the topic/subject being discussed or a boring speaker who puts everyone off to sleep.

A.  The reasons could be: