Why do I get severe pain in my knees and leg muscles?

Monday, 07 December 2009
Answered by: Dr Rajesh Kumar Bawari
Orthopedic Surgeon Max Healthcare Delhi

Q. I am a 32 years old male suffering from severe pain in the leg muscle for the last seven months. The pain exists below and above the knee and at back of the leg. Sometimes, I also feel some kind of stretching pain in the muscle. The X-ray of leg and the spine didn’t reveal anything. The pain occurs in the mornings and evenings. After walking for a long distance, I cannot bend. If I bend, I feel severe pain in the leg muscle. My uric acid level is 7.0 mg/dl. Please suggest how can I get rid of this pain.

A.  Please have your knee examined (clinically/ MRI) and also look for a vascular cause (Doppler study). The soft tissue structures inside the knee - ligaments and menisci, need to be assessed. Incompetent veins are other cause of calf pain. Rheumatoid arthritis is also one possible cause. See a good neighborhood orthopedic surgeon.