How to manage an enlarged liver?

Thursday, 27 March 2003
Answered by: Sudeep Sodhi
Gastroenterologist,
Wisconsin
USA

Q. I was diagnosed with hiatus hernia last year for which I was taking Esomez - 60 mg daily. 3 months ago, it was found that my liver was enlarged (Hepatomegaly grade II fatty liver) and SGPT, SGOT readings were higher than normal. I was told to take Udihep forte 300 mg twice a day for 3 months. Now the SGPT, SGOT readings are normal and doctor has advised to stop Udihep tablets. I am following a less-fat diet and walking 30 minutes daily. I would like to know what other precautions I should take to prevent recurrence of this problem. I do not smoke or drink.

A.  Keep your weight in control, take Vit E 400 IU everyday. Make sure that you do not have diabetes and keep cholesterol under control if elevated. If you go back on esomeprazole again, get your LFT checked in 3 months. Avoid heavy alcohol use.