Why am I advised to take Susten?

Wednesday, 11 November 2009
Answered by: Dr B Shakuntala Baliga MD (AIIMS), FICOG
Professor and Senior Consultant Gynecologist & Colposcopist Mazumdar-Shaw Center for Cancer Research & Narayana Hrudayalaya Multispecialty Hospital, Bangalore

Q. I am a 25 years old married woman since one year. We are planning for a baby now. On the doctors consultation I had folicle study done and then on the day 18 the folicle ruptured. From that day I am taking Susten 200 twice daily. It has been 22 days now and I am feeling stomach pain since then. Is this normal? Why do I have this pain?

A.  I really do not understand why Susten is prescribed for you, and that too 200mg twice daily. Susten is given only in women likely to have / proven progesterone (luteal phase) deficiency. One rarely requires 300 mg per day. Usually it is 100 to 200 mg per day. If ovulation was documented, a pregnancy test can be done 14 days after documented ovulation - if negative, progesterone (Susten) should be stopped. You need to be examined to see possible cause of pain.