Why do I get stomach pain and loose motions often?

Thursday, 19 November 2009
Answered by: Dr Sanjiv Saigal
Consultant Gastroenterologist,Sir Ganga Ram Hospital,New Delhi

Q. I am a 38 years old man who gets stomach pain often which leads to loose motions and gas formation. It happens within 2 to 3 hours after meals, which keeps me uneasy and I am unable to sleep in the night and have a rounded stomach by the evening. I am a computer professional and need to sit on the computer for long hours. What should I do to keep things normal?

A.  It appears that your symptoms are due to "irritable bowel syndrome". The symptoms are often precipitated by irregular eating habits, stress and anxiety. As your job is that of a computer programmer, it is likely that you have long sitting hours. Is there any job related stress or anxiety? Sometimes gas formation after meals can be related to certain food items such as beans, legumes, milk, etc. You should avoid such items & also avoid oily & spicy meals. You should certainly do regular exercises / Yoga. If your symptoms persist then I suggest that you should consult a gastroenterologist who may carry out some blood tests, ultrasound abdomen, etc.