Can a cataract recur after surgery?

Friday, 07 March 2003
Answered by: Rishi Mohan
Consultant Eye Surgeon
Apollo Hospital

Q. I am a 28 year old male. I had cataract in my eye 10 years ago, which I got operated and got an imported lens fit in. Now I am facing the same problem in both my eyes - problems like glare from headlights, poor vision, discharge of white semi-solid substance from the eyes. Can cataract occur again in eyes after surgery and implantation of the artificial lens?

A.  The problem described could be attributed to the development of after-cataract, a thickening of the posterior capsule or membrane that is used to support the lens. This commonly occurs in young individuals who undergo cataract surgery. It is easily treated by YAG laser capsulotomy. You should consult an ophthalmologist who can perform the procedure on an out-patient basis.