What is optical coherence tomography (OCT) test?

Friday, 16 October 2009
Answered by: Dr Rishi Mohan
Consultant Ophthalmologist, Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi

Q. I am a 64 years old man who had an eye test done recently, which indicated no evidence of diabetic retinopathy in my right eye. But the report showed juxtafoveal telangiectasis, foveal reflex dull. The doctor advised optical coherence tomography (OCT) test for both the eyes. What is OCT test? Is it necessary to test it urgently? Can I have this test done after 3 months?

A.  You need to undergo OCT test urgently. It is like a CT scan of retinal layers inside the eye and it can document any swelling / pathology of the macula.