Why am I unable to have an erection when my wife is ovulating?

Friday, 09 October 2009
Answered by: Dr Sudhakar Krishnamurti
Andrologist, Microsurgeon & Sexual Medicine Consultant, Andromeda Andrology Center, Hyderabad

Q. I am a 28 years old married man since 5 months. I sustain a good erection during the whole month but I am unable to have an erection during the period my wife is ovulating. Why is it so? Please suggest some treatment.

A.  If an erection is good in one situation but not in another, then the problem is with the situation and not with the penis. Anxiety on the ovulation day is VERY COMMON among men whose wives are undergoing ARTs. Counseling and anxiety-reducing drugs usually do not help. However special machines are available to obtain semen samples in such situations. Testicular and epididymal sperm aspirations (TESA, TESE, MESA) are almost never required.