Can I have a normal delivery after a c-section?

Answered by: Prof Mini Sood

Associate Professor, Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology,University Technology Mara,Malaysia

Q. I am 27 years old woman pregnant for the second time and everything is going fine. I had a caesarean delivery first time and now the doctor is suggesting the caesarean delivery second time too. What are the chances of second delivery being normal after first C-sec? Is it advisable?

A.  Chance of successful normal delivery after section is there is 60-70% cases if there is no placenta praevia, or contracted pelvis or cervical dystocia (poor opening of cervix) or big baby or abnormal fetal position. You need to inquire the reason for repeat section and also need to know weather it is a recurring condition or not. The reason for the first section also needs to be known.