What are the reasons for high SGPT levels?

Saturday, 25 January 2003
Answered by: B.S. Anand
Gastroenterologist
Houston
USA

Q. I have high level of SGPT for the last 6 months. My SGOT and bilurubin. Tests for hepatitis A,B and C are negative. Triglyceride levels are on the higher side. My diet is normal. What should I do now?

A.  The two most common causes of high SGPT are use of over the counter drugs such as pain medicines (commonly called NSAIDs), cholesterol lower drugs (statins) or health fad drugs like minerals & multivitamins. Do not take any drugs without consulting your doctor. The second important cause is presence ofconditions such as obesity, diabetes and high blood lipid levels. If you have any of these disorders, you should consult your doctor and go on treatment.