Why does fluid collect in the lungs?

Tuesday, 21 January 2003
Answered by: Venk Mani
Consultant Physician,
Leigh Infirmary, England

Q. Recently (3 months back) I had some problem with my lungs; in the chest x-ray, some fluid was found. I consulted a chest physician and he told it may be TB and took out some of the fluid with injection, following which the x-ray still showed some fluid. He gave ATK-4 tab for two months and ATK-3 tab for 4 months. I used ATK-4 for 2 months and now I am using ATK-3 for the last 1 month. Again I had a chest x-ray and the fluid is still present. How much time will it take for that fluid to disappear. Is there any problem if I have that fluid for a long time?

A.  I am sorry that you are ill with fluid in your lung (pleural effusion) and that you are receiving treatment for Tuberculosis. This is completely curable and I am sure your doctor knows best. However it takes a few months of medication and regular follow-up and I wish you good luck.