Is it normal to urinate 8 to 10 times a day?

Tuesday, 22 September 2009
Answered by: Dr Rajiv Yadav
Consultant Urologic Oncology & Robotic Surgery Medanta- The Medicity Hospital Sector 38, Gurgaon Haryana, India 122001

Q. I am a 40 years old man and I drink 2 litre of water and 1 litre other liquids like milk, juice, etc daily. I urinate 8 to10 times a day. Is this is normal?

A.  It is a healthy practice to maintain fluid intake of 2-3 litres per day but the intake should be evenly distributed over the day. Regarding the urine output, it depends upon the balance of total fluid intake during the day and the fluid loss in the form of sweat / urine / insensible loss, etc. Urine output will be more in cooler (air-conditioned) environment due to less sweating. Thus in the absence of any other urinary symptom like dysuria (pain during urination), urgency (sudden uncontrollable desire to pass urine) or incontinence your frequency of urination seems to be linked to fluid intake.