Is enlarged prostate a curable disease?

Tuesday, 15 September 2009
Answered by: Dr Rajesh Ahlawat
Chairman Division of Urology and Renal Transplantation Medanta Kidney and Urology Institute Medanta, the Medicity

Q. I am 32 years old man who underwent a scan, which found that I have a condition called grade 1 prostatomegaly. Is this curable by medicine alone or does it require surgery? I learnt that this disease is usually found in elderly people so what could be the reason in my case? How does it affect my married life? The doctor has prescribed Flotral 10 mg for a month. Please advise.

A.  Every man has a prostate and it is an integral part of genitourinary system. Prostate contributes 80% of seminal volume and hence an important part of fertility and reproductive system. A grade I prostate means a normal prostate since there cannot be a grade below one. If you do not have any voiding difficulties, you do not require any medications.