What is Schambergs disease?

Saturday, 12 September 2009
Answered by: Dr Sanjiv Kandhari
Consultant Dermatologist, Batra Hospital, New Delhi

Q. I am 35 years old, weight 95 kg and have been diagnosed with Schamberg purpura on my left leg, which has now started on my right leg too. I have done all my blood tests for sugar/cholesterol, which are normal. Kindly advise the treatment.

A.  Schambergs disease is a harmless cosmetic disorder involving the capillaries of the leg which leak and the blood shows in the form of brown dots on the ankle -you could try using Melalite + flucort -h cream twice daily for 3 weeks and also take Vit A 25,000 iu twice daily for three weeks.