What is the reason for frequent passage of urine?

Tuesday, 07 January 2003
Answered by: Ajay Sharma
Consultant
Sir Ganga Ram Hospital

Q. Every half an hour I have to pass urine. Even while I am exercising like jumping, skipping, slight urine will come out. Also when I am having cold, cough or sneezing, urine comes out. In the gymnasium class I feel ashamed as I am the only one who uses toilet twice within one hour. Please advise what may be the problem or is this quite natural.

A.  I assume that you are a lady. I need to know your age as well. This problem occurs in ladies after delivery or after losing weight to a significant extent. If it is due to weight loss, it will become all right by strengthening muscles. The final treatment is operation which is not a big one. Do you have difficulty in holding urine or any burning or pain while passing and how is the flow of urine? Get a urine routine test and ultrasound for KUB, residual urine, pelvis and adnexa.