Is there any treatment for sensorineural hearing loss?

Tuesday, 18 August 2009
Answered by: Dr Ameet Kishore
Sr. Consultant Surgeon, ENT & Neuro-Otology, Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi

Q. I am a 29 years old man who was diagnosed with severe sensorineural hearing loss (SNHL) in the right ear 17 years back. Is there any option available to regain my hearing? I am worried about my left ear too as I feel that the hearing power of the left ear is going down as well and there is occasional pain in it. I have neck pain and am not sure if this is the real cause. I also had a septoplasty done. Can that lead to ear pain? Please advise.

A.  There are unfortunately no medicines that will help reverse any sensorineural hearing loss. However, you do have a good option of a BAHA device (bone anchored hearing aid) to help you manage with the single sided deafness (SSD). The BAHA is worn on the poorer side, and works on the principle of receiving the sound signal, and sending it via vibrational energy through the bone of your skull to the good ear. This sound energy can then travel through your good ear to the brain. It is unlikely that a septoplasty will lead to ear pain. If you feel the hearing in your better ear is deteriorating, you must have it checked.

Read Comments
Posted by : Esteem recipient, on Friday, September 11, 2009
as you mentioned a BAHA device would be a good option for SSD. Please know there is a CE approved device called the Esteem, by Envoy Medical Corporation. The Esteem technology is the only solution available in the world found to be clinically superior to hearing aids for the alleviation of sensorineural hearing loss." This performance statement is based upon a recent regulated Clinical Trial done in the United States.