How to treat burning sensation in stomach?

Wednesday, 13 November 2002
Answered by: B.S. Anand
Gastroenterologist
Houston
USA

Q. I am working in a private company and have the following problems:1.I had heart burning sensation after taking food (taken many tablets but of no use), I went for a barium meal test and I said that I have duodenal ulcer; 2. I also have burning sensation in stomach so the doctor did endoscopy and then said that there was a problem in the oesophagus (due to smoking, no ulcer); 3. He gave me some tablets and to some extent I am relieved but again I feel a burning sensation in stomach after taking spicy food; 4. I have pain in the middle of the stomach but not continuous. I have stopped smoking (for the past 10 months). Please suggest the right treatment to get permanent relief.

A.  It is unclear what your investigations showed. The best method of diagnosis is endoscopy. If there was no ulcer but only inflammation of the esophagus, you have a condition called reflux esophagitis and you need to take the following steps: 1. Raise the head of the bed by 4 inches by means of a block of wood or a brick. 2. Lose weight if you are overweight. 3. Avoid a large meal at night and do not go to bed for at least 2 hours after meals. 4. Avoid smoking. 5. Take a Proton pump inhibitor such as Prilosec, one tablet once or twice a day.