How many times in a day does a two-month-old baby pass stool?

Monday, 20 July 2009
Answered by: Dr Neelam Mohan
Consultant Paediatric Gastroenterologist, Medanta Institute of Liver Transplantation and Regenerative Medicine

Q. My two months old son is on breast feeds and cries a lot while passing stools. He also passes gas with stools even though I make him burp after every feed. When he is unable to pass gas, his stomach feels bloated. He puts a lot of pressure to pass stools. How many times a day should a two months old baby pass motion? Why does my son cry so much while passing motion?

A.  An infant who is on exclusive breast feeding may pass stools 6-8 times in a day immediately after feeds. This is normal phenomenon known as gastrocolic reflex, which may persist for 4-6 months of age. You have to mention the consistency of stool (watery or normal), whether any associated blood or mucus, fever, poor feeding, decrease urine output and parianal excoriation and if any of these is present, you should consult a paediatric gastroenterologist.