What do high creatinine and blood urea levels indicate?

Thursday, 02 July 2009
Answered by: Dr Ashutosh Singh
Consultant Nephrologist, Knoxville, USA

Q. I am a 35 years old male. I recently got myself tested for blood urea and creatinine levels. The result was – urea: 33 mg/dl and creatinine: 1.3 mg/dl. Six months back urea was 27 mg/dl and creatinine was 1.1mg/dl. Kindly tell me why is this fluctuation happening and is there anything to worry about?

A.  Persistently elevated serum creatinine level for more than three months along with signs of increased protein leakage into urine is a sign of chronic kidney injury. In your case, if your urine tests are normal, there is no reason for anxiety. Moreover, your creatinine level would be considered within normal range unless it continues to rise. Normal serum creatinine level depends on the laboratory technique assay or the method and tends to vary accordingly.